For family celebrations and barbecues: layered salad is a buffet classic and very easy to prepare. Here is a basic recipe that you can change to taste.
Usually, side salads are mixed: potato salad, macaroni salad, couscous salad… This is not the case with a layered salad, because the name says it all. Here, the ingredients are layered neatly on top of each other, nothing is stirred, and then the salad is left to infuse to develop its full flavor potential. Of course, the layered effect is best seen when you see it: so be sure to use a large glass jar. Alternatively, a layered salad can be served in portions in many small glasses. It looks good on a buffet, guests can help themselves, it takes a little more work to prepare. Speaking of preparation: this is what makes a layered salad so genius. It still tastes best when it’s been infused for about 24 hours, so you can make it the day before a party or barbecue.
Layered Salad Recipe: Ingredients
|Preparation time:||25 minutes|
|Boiling time:||24 hours|
- 4 hard-boiled eggs
- 2 cans celery sticks (90g drained weight)
- 2 small cans of corn (140g drained weight)
- 200 g of cheese (for example, Gouda or mountain cheese)
- 200 g of cooked ham
- 2 apples
- 1 onion
- 1 small tin of pineapple, sliced (140g wet weight)
- 250 ml salad mayonnaise with yogurt
Layered salad: how to prepare a classic recipe
- Peel hard-boiled eggs and cut into quarters. Grind the celery and corn separately.
- Dice the cheese and ham. Peel the apples, cut them into quarters, remove the core and cut them into cubes as well.
- Clean and wash the onion well and cut the bright green part into small rings. Drain the pineapple, drain. You can use the juice for other purposes or drink it.
- Now it’s time to layer, preferably using a large glass bowl. Add the ingredients in this order: half celery, half corn, quartered eggs, half cheese, half mayonnaise, pineapple slices, ham, remaining celery, apples, remaining mayonnaise, remaining corn, onion, and remaining cheese.
- Very important: do not mix, otherwise the whole effect of the layered salad will be lost.
- Cover the bowl with cling film and leave the layered salad in the fridge for 24 hours.
When serving, take a portion with a large spoon and the ingredients will be mixed automatically.
Recipe ideas: Variations on the classic layered salad
While the classic layered salad often found at parties calls for pineapple, onions, corn, apples, ham, and eggs, you can certainly change and change the ingredients as you see fit. Do you like chickpeas or olives? Clean with it! Do you absolutely have to have tomatoes in your salad? It also works as a layer. Instead of ham, fried strips of chicken breast work well. Mango instead of pineapple is also delicious. If you want to go vegetarian, omit the ham from the basic recipe above or substitute a vegetable alternative. As you can see, there are no limits to the variations when it comes to layered salad. Enjoy your meal!