Have a barbecue in the garden with friends and the whole family? That’s a good idea, but what should be prepared to accompany the meat and fish? Below we’ll tell you some delicious salad recipes that you can quickly grill so you can enjoy an evening with your loved ones. All vegetarians and vegans are of course welcome!
A quick, vegetarian tortellini salad for summer grilling
Summer Totellini Salad is a bright, cheesy, flavorful and veggie pasta salad packed with summer produce that takes less than 30 minutes to make. Light and fresh ingredients give it an Italian/Mediterranean touch. It can be served chilled or at room temperature, making it the perfect side dish for your next picnic or barbecue!
- 600 g of cheese tortellini, preferably fresh
- 500 g of cherry tomatoes, half
- 1 zucchini, cut into half moons
- salt and black pepper
- Parmesan cheese, grated (optional)
- fresh basil, roughly chopped (optional)
For the walnut pesto:
- 30-40 g of walnuts, roasted
- 30 g Parmesan, grated or grated
- 1 garlic clove, roughly chopped
- basil leaves
- 100 ml of extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon of salt
Cook tortellini according to package directions and drain well. Wash them immediately under cold water.
You can make your own nut pesto, or you can find and buy your favorite pesto at the grocery store to save time. While the tortellini is cooking, prepare the walnut pesto: put the walnuts, parmesan and garlic in a blender and finely chop all the ingredients. Then add the basil leaves and stir for another minute. Also gradually add olive oil until the mixture is smooth. Season the pesto with salt and set aside.
Place the cooked tortellini in a large bowl and add the tomatoes and zucchini. Add the pesto to the bowl and mix until the ingredients are well coated. Season the summer salad with salt and pepper. If using the grated parmesan and fresh basil, add them to the bowl. Serve chilled or at room temperature for grilling.
- Storage: Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- Hard: Transfer to a freezer-safe container and freeze for up to 2 months. Refrigerate overnight to thaw.
- Prepare in advance: Tortellini and pesto can be prepared up to 24 hours in advance. Refrigerate it until ready to serve.
A quick recipe for a fresh, vegan salad to grill
There are many ways to make a cucumber salad, but this vegan salad is simple and amazing. It includes all the summer ingredients like tomatoes, onions and cucumbers. It’s quick to make, incredibly refreshing, and the perfect addition to a summer barbecue.
- 2 large cucumbers, sliced
- 20 cherry tomatoes or 3-4 large tomatoes, diced
- 1 red onion, chopped
- a handful of parsley, finely chopped
- 1 bell pepper, sliced (optional)
- Vinegar, olive oil and salt to taste
In a large bowl, mix all the ingredients: cucumber, tomato, onion and parsley. Add vinegar and olive oil. Toss everything to coat well with the vegetables. It is best to eat the salad immediately because it is fresh and delicious. Enjoy this colorful summer salad!
Grilled Green Salad Recipe
This super fresh salad is the perfect side dish for summer and barbecue meals.
- olive oil 60 ml
- 2 tablespoons of red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of mustard
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 romaine lettuce hearts, chopped
- 2 cucumbers, sliced
- 1 small fennel bulb, chopped, plus leaves
- 1/4 small red onion, chopped
- 1 can of chickpeas, rinsed
- Fresh parsley leaves
- Fresh basil leaves, torn
Mix oil, vinegar and mustard in a bowl, season with salt and pepper. Add the romaine lettuce, cucumber, fennel and leaves, onion, chickpeas, parsley and basil and toss well. You can serve it with a green summer salad. Enjoy your meal!
A mixed couscous salad as a side dish or main dish
Couscous salad is perfect for hot days in the garden.
- 100 grams of couscous
- 200 ml hot, low-salt vegetable stock (a cube is fine)
- 2 onions or 1 red onion
- 1 red pepper
- 400 g of cherry tomatoes
- ½ cucumber
- 50 g feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts (optional)
Place the couscous in a large bowl and pour over the broth. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes until the couscous is soft and all the broth has been absorbed. Meanwhile, chop the onion, cherry tomatoes, bell pepper and cucumber. Then add these to the couscous, crumble with feta and sprinkle with pine nuts if desired.